Draft Minutes

Minutes of the Ordinary Meeting of Pencombe Group Parish Council held on Tuesday 28th August 2018 held Pencombe & Little Cowarne Parish Hall at 7.30pm

Councillors Present

  • Cllr Tony Brazier (Chairman)
  • Cllr Tony French
  • Cllr Chris Hayes
  • Cllr Phil Hope

In Attendance

  • Tony Ford – Temporary Clerk
  • Members of the Public – 3

123/18 To receive and consider apologies for absence

The Parish Council received and approved apologies for absence from Cllr John Barrett and Cllr Anthony Legge.

124/18 To receive, approve and sign minutes of the Ordinary Meeting of the Parish Council held on 24th July 2018

The minutes were signed by the Chairman as a true record of the meeting.

125/18 Disclosable Pecuniary interest Dispensations

There were no requests for dispensations.

126/18 Declarations of Interest

There were no declarations of interests.

127/18 Report from the Clerk on Actions from previous meetings 

  • Planning Committee – Planning guidance at agenda item 135.18. 
  • Emergency Coordinator – Guidance at agenda item 136/18.
  • Cemetery – Previous Clerk is working on this and will  report back when complete. 
  • PG10/11 – Karen has spoken with landowner, and advised him of the issues, he has advised that he will deal with them. The Risbury and Stoke Prior Footpath Officer has been updated and Margaret S has also been informed. The Parish Council noted the update (Appendix 1 refers).

128/18 Open Session

128.1/18 To receive a verbal update from the Ward Councillor

The Parish Council was informed that Cllr Bruce Baker (Ward Councillor) was unable to attend and sent his apologies, under the circumstances there was no report.

128.2/18 To receive queries/concerns by local residents on parish matters

A Parishioner queried if the Parish Council had been informed that the verges were going to be dug up, it was felt that Complete Utilities who were laying fibre cable was having an adverse effect on travelling to, through and from the village. There was also a concern that local business had not been informed that the village would be closed for two weeks. Road closure signs were not informative and misled motorists.

Action: Clerk to raise the concern with Herefordshire Council.

129/18 Finance:

129.1/18 HSBC bank balances

The Parish Council was informed that the Bank Balances as at 18th August 2018 were as follows:

  • Community Account £ 1,380.06 
  • Business Money Manager Account £15,436.69

129.2/18 Spend against Budget

The Parish Council noted the update (Appendix 2 refers).

129.3/18 To note income received/due:

  1. Emma Bouston Funeral Services Ltd – £600.00 for Exclusive rights of Burial and interment fee

129.4/18 To consider payments due:

  1. Community First – £62.50 for parish hall visit about Governance
  2. AC Garden Services – £310.00 for grass cutting in August 2018

Resolved: that payment be made and that the Temporary Clerk be authorised to inform Mrs Karen Hodges that payment can be made.

130/18 Sparrington Telephone Box

The Parish Council was informed that the box had been adopted by Heartstart, who were planning training in the near future. It was agreed that a request be made for a defibrillator to be located in Little Cowarne.

Action: Clerk to liaise with Heartstart.

131/18 Memorandum of Understanding

The Parish Council considered the draft Memorandum of Understanding previously circulated. The Temporary Clerk highlighted to the Parish Council that at the present time the Parish Council did not have any legal obligation to maintain the parish hall, and if it signed the document as it is it could become liable for major expenditure without limit. Further discussion took place and it was agreed that paragraph 4.5 would read “The Trustees would liaise with the Parish Council during the budget setting process (September/ October) to ensure that any funding requests for capital maintenance costs can be considered and budgeted for.”

It was also highlighted that the word Committee be changed to Trustees and the document updated due to changes at paragraph 4.5.

The updated and agreed version (Appendix 3 refers).

The Chairman was authorised to sign the agreed document on behalf of the Parish Council.

Action: Chairman to sign Memorandum of Understanding.

132/18 Purchase of New St. George Flag

The Parish Council considered the request from the Village Hall Trustees to purchase a new St. George Flag, having considered the matter it was agreed that a new flag be purchased in the sum of £39.95 and the Temporary Clerk was authorised to ask Mrs Karen Hodges to order the flag on the Parish Council behalf.

Action: Flag to be purchased.

133/18 Local Winter Maintenance Contractor

The Chairman was authorised to raise the matter with the Leader of Herefordshire Council at the summit meeting to be held on 17th October 2018.

Action: Cllr Tony Brazier to raise the matter of the Local Winter Maintenance Contractor at the summit meeting.

134/18 Working together for our Communities

The Parish Council considered the invitation from the Leader of Herefordshire Council to attend a Parish Council summit. It was agreed that Cllr Tony Brazier attended on behalf of the Parish Council.

135/18 Planning Committee Guidance

The Parish Council considered and approved Planning Committee Guidance (Appendix 4 refers).

136/18 Emergency Coordinator

Having considered the Emergency Coordinator position it was agreed that Cllr Tony Brazier and Cllr Anthony Legge would act as joint Emergency Coordinator. The Parish Council also approved The Emergency Coordinator Guidance (Appendix 5 refers).

Action: Clerk to inform Herefordshire Council.

137/18 Lengthsman

It was agreed that there was no additional work needed.

138/18 Matters relayed to the Clerk for the Agenda of the next meeting 

  • Defibrillator update

The Parish Council resolved to go into closed session to consider the next agenda item due to its confidential nature.

139/18 Parish Clerk/Responsible Finance Officer Recruitment

Having considered the matter it was agreed that:

  • The appointments panel would be the Chairman and the Vice-Chairman with substitutes if required supported by Lynda Watkins of HALC. 
  • Interviews would be held at the HALC offices in Hereford. 
  • Contracted hours would be 7 hours per week. 
  • Salary point 23 (£21,693 pro rata). 
  • HALCs standard Job description and Personal Specification would be used.

140/18 Date of next meeting

Tuesday 25th September 2018, 7.30pm at Pencombe & Little Cowarne Parish Hall.