Minutes – 24th April 2018

Minutes of the Pencombe Group Parish Council meeting held on 24th April 2018 at Pencombe & Little Cowarne Parish Hall, commencing at 8.00pm.

59/18 To receive and consider apologies for absence:

a. Apologies were received from:
• Councillor Bruce Baker [BB] • Councillor Phil Hope [PH] {8/11}

b. Those present were:
• Councillor Tony Brazier [TB] (Chairman) {10/11}
• Councillor Tony French [TF] (Vice-Chairman) {11/11}
• Councillor Chris Hayes [CH] {10/11}
• Councillor John Barrett [JB] {9/11}
• Councillor Anthony Legge [AL] {7/11}
• Karen Hodges [KH] (Parish Clerk)
• Andrew Mottram [AM] (Member of the public)
• Alan Drew [AD] (Member of the public)

60/18 To receive Declarations of interest & written requests for dispensation:

a. There were none received.

61/18 Open session:

61.1/18 To receive a verbal update from the Ward Councillor:

a. There was no update received.

61.2/18 To receive queries or concerns by local residents on parish matters:

a. There were none received.

62/18 To adopt the minutes of the previous meeting – 27th March 2018:

a. RESOLVED: The minutes of the last meeting were agreed and signed as being an accurate record of what took place.

63/18 To receive matters arising not on the agenda (for report only):

a. There were none received.

64/18 To receive an update on the action points of the previous meeting:

a. Re: 42/18a: Dog fouling – In progress. KH has contacted Trading Standards for further guidance and is awaiting a response.
ACTION: KH

b. Re: 42/18c: Cemetery reserved plots – To carry forward. KH is still to contact those who have reserved plots to finalise the paperwork and payments.
ACTION: KH

c. Re: 42/18d: Declarations of interest form – Complete. All forms have now been submitted to the Monitoring Officer.

d. Re: 42/18e: Cemetery documentation – In progress. It was noted that KH had a very useful meeting with Bromyard Town Council on 29/03/2018 to review the cemetery procedures. KH has concerns about paperwork previously issued, e.g. deeds, but this will need to be discussed once the archived records are looked at. The current paperwork is almost complete and will be put on the website shortly.
ACTION: KH

e. Re: 42/18h: Archived parish hall file – In progress. KH has visited HARC but the files could not be found. KH to arrange a meeting with the relevant person to explore further.
ACTION: KH

f. Re: 42/18i: Parish hall working document – To carry forward. See 69/18.
ACTION: KH

g. Re: 44/18c: Bad weather response donations – Complete. Donations pots have been put at relevant locations and advertised on website, notice boards and parish magazine.

h. Re: 44/18e: Local bad weather contractor – In progress. KH has contacted BBLP and is awaiting a response.
ACTION: KH

i. Re: 44/18f: Winter maintenance plan – Complete. This has been added to the calendar for completion later in the year.

j. Re: 46/18b: Fixed asset register and maintenance plan – In progress. See 65.4/18.
ACTION: KH

k. Re: 46/18d: War memorial grant – To carry forward. KH is still to contact Steve Allard & Son regarding the potential for getting a grant.
ACTION: KH

l. Re: 49/18c: Parish Clerk recruitment – In progress. See 66/18.

m. Re: 51/18b: Heartstart training – In progress. An evening date in June has been suggested by Heartstart. KH is checking availability of the parish hall before confirming.
ACTION: KH

65/18 Finance:

65.1/18 HSBC bank balances & spend against budget:

a. Community a/c (as at 19/04/2018) = £1481.38.

b. Business Money Manager a/c (as at 19/04/2018) = £10834.92.

c. KH presented the actual spend against budget to date (as per attached). There are no concerns.

65.2/18 To note income received/due:

a. Herefordshire Council = £6000.00 for the first precept instalment.

65.3/18 To consider payments due:

a. Herefordshire Council = £50.89 for the first instalment of burial ground business rates.

b. KR Hodges = £13.92 for postage for bad weather letters.

c. RESOLVED: It was agreed for all payments to be made.

65.4/18 To consider draft accounts for 2017/18 and action for external audit:

a. KH presented the previously circulated draft accounts for 2017/18 for review prior to submission to the Internal auditor. There were no queries raised.

b. KH explained the amended process for the Annual Governance and Accountability Returns and external auditor instructions. As the Council has income and expenditure less than £25,000 it can claim exemption from the external audit. An internal audit must still be completed and relevant documents completed (AGAR Part 2) to meet the exercise of public rights. KH will progress this.

66/18 To consider action for Parish Clerk recruitment:

a. There has been no interest to date in the position. KH has approached all local Parish Clerks and has posted in the local Facebook group.

b. BB has provided the name of someone who may act as a temporary clerk whilst the position is being filled. It was noted that HALC also offer this service and KH will explore further.
ACTION: KH

67/18 To receive an update on the Locality Steward parish tour:

a. This took place 05/04/2018 with TB and KH and all the items raised at the last meeting were reported accordingly.

b. Key points raised were:
i. Grit bins: There is an issue over who owns them and has responsibility for filling. Herefordshire Council will therefore not provide any new ones but will fill those in situ. If there is a need for new bins the Parish Council must consider providing them. BBLP are happy for markers to be used to identify the bins but the Parish Council must do this.
ii. Village name sign: BBLP will only replace missing/damaged safety signs so the Parish Council will need to replace the missing sign.
iii. Speed limits: Changing a speed limit is a very lengthy process (currently about 4 years) as a traffic regulation order is needed but can be done if necessary.

c. It was agreed that it would be useful to put some information on the parish website to explain how the roads are inspected and repaired to improve public understanding.
ACTION: KH

68/18 To receive an update on GDPR regulations:

a. KH provided an update on the requirements of the GDPR regulations.

b. KH will need to complete a review of all personal data held and ensure it is being kept and used in line with all regulations. There are also a number of data documents which will need to be agreed and put on the website for public view.

c. Currently there is a requirement for the Council to employ an independent Data Protection Officer [DPO] however it was noted that this is still under discussion. HALC is offering a DPO service to members at £50 per year and KH recommended that this be used if required.

69/18 To receive an update on Pencombe & Little Cowarne Parish Hall management and maintenance and agree attendance at the next Committee of Management [CoM] meeting:

a. KH has been in touch with Richard Timney [RT] from Community First to seek advice on the relationship between the Parish Council and CoM. RT confirmed that the Parish Council has no statutory duty to support the parish hall but can choose to do so.

b. RT provided a number of Action with Communities in Rural England [ACRE] guidance notes which highlighted that there should be a lease agreement between the Council and CoM setting out the responsibilities. There is no evidence of this document being held although it was noted that it could be in the archived file, which KH will explore further. This should be created if a copy cannot be found.

c. RT provided details of a ‘Community Building Health Check’ service which Community First offers to ensure that the building is fully compliant with all legislation and is as efficient as possible. The cost for this is £125 for members.
RESOLVED & ACTION: It was agreed that this would be useful and that the CoM and Parish Council will pay half each. KH to contact RT and AM to agree a suitable date.

d. AM noted that the budget for 2018/19 will be tight based on current hiring rates. Regular costs include £9 per hour for cleaning at 2 hours per week, and £14 a fortnight for the Council refuse collection.

e. AM is still to receive quotes for the roof repairs. He will chase accordingly.

f. It was noted that the fence repairs cannot be completed for less than £500. A discussion was held regarding the Parish Council providing the materials (expected to cost approximately £350) and gifting to the CoM, and the CoM funding the labour costs.

g. The CoM AGM is being held on 16/05/2018. The CoM are seeking a new Booking Secretary, Treasurer and Secretary and AM is advertising as much as possible to seek local support. AM is going to produce a newsletter to distribute across the parish to highlight the need for and encourage support.

70/18 To receive an update on the Neighbourhood Development Plan:

a. There are currently five members on the NDP steering group – Rowena Hatfield, Carol Jinks, Jo Thomas, Mo Willcocks & Jo Dixon. There needs to be two Parish Councillors on the group.

b. The group are meeting every four weeks (next meeting 09/05/2018) and are aiming to hold the initial open day in August on a Friday evening and Saturday morning.

71/18 Planning applications/decisions:

71.1/18 To comment on planning applications to be determined by Herefordshire Council:

a. P181128/XA2 – PP-Approval of details reserved by condition; Mr & Mrs Larmour; Rams Corner, Little Cowarne; Application for approval of details reserved by condition 3 attached to planning permission 163407; target determination date 29/05/2018 (comments not being accepted)

b. P181007/FH – Full Householder; Mr & Mrs K & A Day; 2 Swedish Houses, Pencombe; Single storey extension to front, side and rear; consultation end date 25/04/2018; target determination date 03/05/2018

c. The previously circulated comments submitted to the planning consultant from an objector regarding P181007/FH were discussed. The Council agreed that as the comments had been received by the relevant consultant there was nothing further to add.

d. RESOLVED: There were no comments to be made on the applications.

71.2/18 To note planning permissions by Herefordshire Council:

a. Approved – P180218/F Planning Permission; Mr Brent Thomas; New House Farm, Pencombe; Proposed variation of condition 1 of planning permission 170045 to omit floor plans drawing reference 1912-4

71.3/18 To note planning refusals by Herefordshire Council:

a. There were no planning refusals issued.

72/18 Lengthsman scheme:

72.1/18 To consider work to be undertaken:

a. Consideration was given to the need for gully clearing across the parish. It was noted that there were no issues at present so this can be deferred.

b. A discussion was held around who completes the work under the Lengthsman scheme, declarations of interest and any potential conflicts of interest.

TB & JB left the meeting at this point after the discussion became heated following a perceived conflict of interest.

72.2/18 To consider payment of invoices

a. There were none.

73/18 To review the April 2018 Information Sheet:

a. The HALC Information Corner and training schedule were noted, particularly as there are two free Councillor spaces.

74/18 To agree content for Parish magazine contribution:

a. The content for the June edition should include:
• Bad weather response donations
• Parish clerk recruitment
• Neighbourhood Development Plan

75/18 Matters raised for discussion at the next meeting:

a. There were none identified.

76/18 Date of next meeting:

a. The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 22nd May 2018 at 8.00pm.

Being no further business the meeting was closed at 9.45pm.